Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Did You Know? Brown Sugar



Did you know that you can make brown sugar?


I used to buy brown sugar and end up throwing most of it away. I love to put it in oatmeal but I don't use that much so a whole box is just too much for me. I was reading a book that had cookie recipes in it. The recipe called for brown sugar but it said if I didn't have brown sugar I could make it myself. So, I thought I would share, just in case some of you didn't know you can make your own.

All you need is white sugar (granulated) and molasses.
For light brown sugar, use a little bit of molasses and dark brown sugar, use a little bit more.


2 teaspoons of granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of molasses 

So if you need some light brown sugar, use two teaspoons of granulated sugar and a fourth teaspoon of molasses. Use a fork to mix it until it looks like the pics above and below. It is simple to make and if you want dark sugar just add an eighth of a teaspoon of molasses or (more if desired) for really dark brown sugar.


Dark brown sugar - 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar and 3/8 teaspoon of molasses

I needed to lower my bad cholesterol and I read that eating oatmeal would help. I DO NOT like plain oatmeal, so I add dried blueberries, dried cranberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon to my oatmeal. It is delicious, now. I eat it several times a week. When I had to go back for more blood work my bad cholesterol was down. Yay!

Almost ready to eat!

I have also put fresh blueberries and raspberries in also and it was delicious too. Oatmeal (I use Quaker Quick 1-minute): I add one-half cup of 2% milk and one-half cup of water to a small pan. I add the dried fruit (I use Mariani blueberries and cranberries) and let it come to a low boil. I add half-cup oatmeal and let it boil for one minute. I put the oatmeal in a bowl and add two teaspoons or a little less and I add the molasses (I use Grandmas) to the bowl, then sprinkle it with cinnamon and enjoy.

If I am using fresh fruit, I put the blueberries and raspberries in just before I pour the oatmeal into the bowl. I made the mistake of adding the fresh berries like the dried and the blueberries were very hot and blueberry juice went everywhere.



YUM!

Just thought I would share. Do you like oatmeal? If so, how do you enjoy yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment